Date: Jun 10, 2022
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: GCCA + Project Coordinator
Directorate/Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy Directorate/Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment (DARBE)
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P1
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Fixed - Term
Location: Libreville, Gabon
The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Climate Change Alliance Plus programme (GCCA+). The overall objective of the programme is to build the institutional capacity and support the coordination functions of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the Economic Community of Central Africa States (ECCAS) for the implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the correspondent Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in Africa. The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation,
The Junior Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for the delivery of administrative and financial tasks, as well as assisting with technical aspects of the programme. The officer will have the overall responsibility of assisting the programme on the planning and execution of all administrative tasks. S/he will make necessary follow-up on administrative matters involving various AU Departments and Directorates, and other offices. Other functions include provision of assistance in the overall coordination and monitoring of the programme in addition to involvement in the day-to-day activities.
• Assists in the preparation of the annual budget based on the work-plan
• Supports the compilation of financial reports and statements.
• Provide support in managing cash controls and disbursements
• Provide administrative support and prepare relevant progress reports.
• Liaise with the Finance, Human Resource Management, Operations and Supply Chain directorates on financial, HR, administration and procurement functions; serve as focal person to handle related files, provide proposals and solutions to particular matters, prepare summary/status reports regularly and handle all related matters
• Assist the office in facilitating communication with various service departments at the Headquarters
• Facilitate engagements with stakeholders, schedule appointments and provide required administrative and logistical support as required.
• Draft correspondences on finance and administration matters and ensure that the incoming and outgoing correspondences and communication are efficiently handled.
• Handle logistical arrangements for meetings and other events.
• Make travel arrangements for the officers and perform liaison duties with partners;
• Prepare and participate in project meetings and take minutes and/or notes of such meetings; follow up on the implementation of meeting decisions/action plans through liaison with the programme staff and those implied.
• Maintain databases, confidential and management records; soft and hard copy administrative and finance related documents/files;
• Prepare and participate in project meetings and take minutes and/or notes of such meetings.
• Perform any other related duties assigned by supervisors.
• Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Administration Management or related fields, with at least two (2) years relevant work experience, preferably in international organizations OR Masters level of academic qualification in the above listed areas of study with a minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience.
• A qualification in project management would be an added advantage.
• Candidates must have appropriate experience at a junior level with exposure to programme support and professional engagement in one or more of the following areas: project management, environmental management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, management involving multi-stakeholders such as RECs, Member States, RCCs, and Development Partners.
• Experience in office management and administration would be a strong added advantage.
• Experience in the ECCAS region (i.e. Member States) will be an added advantage.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Sound planning and organizational skills
• Very good drafting skills
• Very good ability to liaise with various stakeholders, at different levels
• Very good sense of responsibility and ability to take initiative
• Ability to negotiate, to communicate diplomatically
• Proficiency in one of the AU languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Preference is given to candidates who speak at least one of the ECCAS working languages and fluency in another ECCAS language is an added advantage